Reichen Lehmkuhl…The Straight Story!
On April 4th, 2011 nude webcam photographs of LOGO TV’s The A-List star Reichen Lehmkuhl were exposed all over the internet. Instantly, bloggers and social commentators were expressing their feelings about Reichen’s intimate photograph and reposting the image as if they now had a better understanding of him simply because they were privy to what he looked like when he wasn’t wearing his underwear. They didn’t. The reports were sophomoric and pathetic.
Sure, most people are excited to see a little nudity now and then, especially celebrity nudity, but have we become so detached that we can’t imagine how we might feel if we were in the same position. In the end, Reichen was the last one laughing res,ponding to the incident on RumorFix.com by stating “I don’t feel that this story represents anything different in me than what the majority of gay men have done at one point or another — as far as posting a private picture over Internet lines for private viewing. In my, now, nine years of being in the public eye, I’ve seen many less-flattering photos attributed to me, so that’s a plus. Moving on … ”
Exactly! Interestingly, none of these commentators went past defining him as an A-List or Amazing Race star. They didn’t detail his 9 years of service in the U.S. Air Force or that he had already penned an autobiography. They couldn’t even be as honest as to admit that Reichen is indeed extremely handsome and sexy, nonetheless gifted and talented. Maybe that’s the price you pay for putting yourself in the public eye; especially your private self.
But we wanted to know more about this guy than just what was happening under his briefs. We wanted to know what made him tick and why he belonged on “the A-List“. So we checked out the bio on his website; “A Graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, a former Captain in the Air Force after 9 years of service, a flight instructor, a published author, a public speaker, a television personality, an actor of television, stage, and film, a model, and a reality television icon; it’s quickly apparent thatonce Reichen sets a goal, it is only a matter of time before he reaches it.”
Knowing more, we now felt inclined to find out intimate details which weren’t hidden in the shine of a webcam photograph. We wanted to find out exactly who he was and to once and for all, set the story straight…
1. Tell us about Reichen and how he found his way in and onto the A-List?
I was called on by the casting folks hired by the A-List Production and asked to do the show. Going into it, I really had no idea what it was going to be. They found out I was moving to New York because I had posted on my Facebook page that I had landed the lead in a play in New York and that I’d be leaving Los Angeles for a little while.
2. You’re from Norton, Massachusetts. Tell us about your life growing up and how being from a small town helps you live in NYC.
I was born in Cincinnati and, when I was 9, moved to Norton with my family. I think growing up in a small town keeps you grounded in a big city, but I’m not too fond of my childhood time in Norton. I grew up in a trailer park there. It was rough being made fun of all the time for being “that” kid.
3. Thanks to the A-List NY we’ve gotten to know more of you. What are three things we wouldn’t know about Reichen by looking at you?
A. I value loyalty in my friends and relationships. When that is broken, I run. B. I have served our country in the U.S. Air Force for 9 years of my life. C. I have a dream of being a dentist and owning my own practice.
4. Walk us through a typical day of taping for the A-List from scheduling to the moment you sit in front of your tv and watch it with the rest of the world.
It’s all very random. I usually get a call or text the day before telling me where the “set” will be, what time to show up, and roughly what I should wear. Much of what I shoot ends up on the cutting room floor. Tiny similarly-themed slices of my life and what I say on a daily basis are shown on the show. The other 99.9% of me is never shown.
5. Season two opened with the scandal of your nude photographs being exposed. How did you and your family react to these photographs?
They were upset that I was hurt by it all.
6. How supportive is your family with you being gay and being on a gay reality television show?
Amazingly supportive. My family is heavily involved in PFLAG(Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays).
7. Of all of the cast members, who will you remain friends with for the rest of your life? Who will you never talk to again after the show?
I don’t really know most of the cast members in an intimate way. We work together but I rarely hang out with them outside of the show for no other reason than we’re all just very busy in our “other” lives. I’ve tried to be nice to all of them. Probably always will.
8. Reality television has the reputation of being staged or scripted. How real are the situations and drama in the A-List New York?
The situations are real. It’s just what’s taken from them in editing that skews the way the viewer sees each situation differently from how it actually happens.
9. This season we’re introduced to Nyasha. How does the flair of this sassy straight gal affect the dynamics of a mainly gay cast?
Nyasha has been cool to have on the show. I’ve come to know her off camera and I like what I see. We’re getting closer as the days go on.
10. Lets play Marry, Kill, Fuck (and explain your picks) with some of your cast members: Derek, Austin, TJ?
Well I would do any of those to any of my cast mates.
11. How do you define sexy?
Responsible, thoughtful of others, good manners, athletic, drive for success.
12. What do you believe is the sexiest city in the world? Sexiest hotel? Sexiest club? Sexiest gay celebrity?
Sexiest City: New Orleans. Sexiest Hotel: The London in West Hollywood. Sexiest gay celebrity: Ricky Martin.
13. Many interviews and articles paint your dislike of Austin, but in the last couple of episodes we see you being friendly and nice. What’s the real deal between you two?
I’m his friend overall. He just does alot of things to piss me off. The way he talks about his relationship annoys me, but he’s young and it’s fine.
14. What is a movie, book and CD(album) that really impacted your life?
Movie: Interview with a Vampire. Book: The Celestine Prophecy. CD: The Grateful Dead: American Beauty.
15. You have a couple of new projects in the works; a new book, a fragrance and even a skin care line. Tell us what inspired you to take on these projects?
Just a pure entrepreneurial spirit, and knowing that I can make money to donate some of it to help my community.
16. What do you look for in the perfect partner and relationship?
Someone who makes me feel like they really like me for me. That they care about me and not just what I can do for them.
17. How do you feel about marriage equality now that it has come to NYC?
I’m really happy that we have made another step toward equal rights for all citizens.
18. Will there be any more singing this season for you?
Yes in my home, but not on the show so I can be made to look like a disaster. I’ve written and sang and recorded songs all my life. It’s more for me and not for public ridicule.
19. If you were to write an autobiography, what would it be titled and why?
I wrote one. It was published in 2006 and it’s called, “Here’s What We’ll Say”. That’s what us cadets used to say to each other when we’d return to the U.S. Air Force Academy after being out at a gay place…so we could have our story straight and not be sent to prison for being gay.
20. What is sexiest on a man and you; boxers, briefs, jockstraps…or nothing at all?
Sexiest is briefs on all guys.
*Photographs Courtesy of Reichen Lehmkuhl.
WARNING: We allow 100 words or less of content per interview to be taken, with a link to our original interview, and used without our authorization. Content larger than 100 words or copying our entire interview without our authorization to be used in ANY manner will result in our taking legal action per copyright infringement.
- Blog (4)
- DJ Raannt (155)
- Funniest Video of the Day (6)
- Gossip (58)
- INDY (27)
- Interviews (80)
- Look of Yesterday and Today (2)
- Love Doctors (4)
- Luxe (7)
- Out Of Our Closet Today (13)
- Places (1)
- Raannt Rewind (26)
- Raannt TV (11)
- Reviews (19)
- So Gay (42)
- Style (97)
- THE #SocialMedia List (4)
- The Art of TEE (3)
- The Sexy List (12)
- Uncategorized (147)
- Would You Rather (2)
- YouTube Sensations (15)