The Indy 500 Snake Pit is not your average concert, show, music festival. It’s a one of kind monster. Every year the vibe roars through the IMS, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, grounds while race fans stroll in from their camping grounds. Many, straight to the snake pit, and some, actually watch the race. Whether you’re a Snake Pit pro or an excited virgin, here are the top 10 things we believe you should know:
- Have a plan. It starts early, the IMS grounds are massive, the cell reception sucks, and if you’re over 21, there’s a lot of drinking. So have a plan. Know where to meet, where to go, what time you will get there and what time you guys will leave. Drop a pin in your map for where your car is, we’ve gotten lost before and it’s no fun.
**Pro tip: have a designated driver, someone responsible and someone that will not drink. NO DRINKING AND DRIVING PEOPLE!
**Super pro tip: Park between 30th and 34th on Georgetown Rd. It’s close enough to walk but far enough for traffic not to kill your brain.
- Get some rest. The party starts early. Some are known to head in at 4am, others stroll in at 11-12. But one thing is for sure, like for sure for sure, get plenty of sleep/rest. The sun is usually major, and even in the not-so-warm years, the party marathon takes it out of you. There’s a lot of walking, dancing, and then walking back. You don’t want to be the guy that passes out during the funnest spring weekend in Indy!!
- Charge your phone And/or bring a portable charger. The Snake Pit is an instagramer’s dream. Photo-ops are everywhere, with friends, stage, artists, people watching, all types! Don’t forget to tag @raannt317 @indy500snakepit & @reachpresents to show us what an amazing time you had! Also #Indy500SnakePit We’ll for sure like your pix.
- Pack lite. You’ll want to bring some of your own food, snacks, water, drinks. Which is very smart. If you’re going solo, pack lite. if you’re going with friends. Split up the load. It’s a packed house and you don’t want to be stuck carrying a heavy bag or cooler.
- SQUAD GOALS. Theme up the day with your squad. Coordinate, don’t really match tho – that would be too much, gear and colors. Press, like us, like to catch groups of people that stand out, show off the fun that is the Snake Pit and the amazingness that fans bring.
- If you can VIP it. Sure, the $ may be higher, but it’s worth it. No restroom lines, or at least very minimal. Private bar, which hi! cuts on waiting to get drinks and getting back to enjoying the show. Elevated viewing decks. Two decks, both higher than GA, providing you with amazing views of the entire Snake Pit area and stage. And, very important, there’s way more room to dance.
- Be kind. Don’t be an ass. Remember to use the word ‘Excuse me’ if you’re walking through the crowd, or even if someone bumps you, it’ll be a tight squeeze. Also, don’t push while walking through the crowd, nobody likes an entitled prick pushing through.
- Be helpful. If you see someone having a hard time, or needing help finding their friends, or if their phones died (cuz they didn’t read this amazing list), give them a hand. Good Karma is always welcomed, so put positivity out in the universe. Plus it’s sexy.
- Be smart. Stay hydrated. Have some food. Make good decisions. Follow your plan (Hi! Number 1 on this list) and have a backup plan. We’re all adults here.
- Enjoy the Music. React Presents does an incredible job at bringing us bomb, huge, artists for us to rage to. So enjoy them. Remember that music is an incredible thing. The only way you can see it’s energy is by creating memories that will last you a lifetime. Or if you drink a little too much, they’ll be in your phone (as long as you charge it).
If we missed anything, or if you would like to add to our list of Indy Snake Pit musts, leave a comment below! Or better yet, write on any of our socials. Tickets are still available, but not many, so if you haven’t planned your Indy 500 2018 Snake Pit experience yet… HURRY UP!!!
Buy your tickets here: http://www.indy500snakepit.com/tickets/