2011 is going to be hot year for Mya. Not that she hasn’t had a hot year every year since she started her career in the entertainment industry 12 year ago. Every year has been burning, scorching, sweating, pulsating all the way to the top as she added title after title to her resume. On her official website, her bio defines this long list as “internationally known, respected singer, songwriter, producer, dancer/choreographer, actress, designer, model, activist and philanthropist.” She’s been in several movies including the Oscar-winning Chicago, which she won a Screen Actors Guild Award, and her music has been featured in Moulin Rouge(for which she won a Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration) and the Disney film Atlantis:The Lost Empire. She has been in numerous films and television shows and was the runner up to the winner on Season 9 of Dancing with the Stars. Mya has released six albums and currently has released the dance single Love is the Answer which she mixed with legendary DJ Cedric Gervais, who is a superstar in his own right. She has been nominated and won Grammy’s, MTV awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, the list goes on and on…and so will she. In addition to her incredible entertainment career, she also is a devoted philanthropist. At 31, this amazing woman who started out years ago as a tap dancer, has tapped her way into our hearts and continues to show us why Love is the Answer!
1. What inspired your new Dance sound?
I’ve always had a variety of sounds & tempos on my albums, but I’d have to say alongside just being a girl who likes to have fun, I’d say all of the dance remixes to the singles in my career that I loved to perform have inspired some of my upcoming up tempos.
2. “Love is the Answer” has a great message and great sound! What does this track mean to you?
The track sonically feels elevating. Great production by Cedric Gervais and positive, meaningful writing by Dee Roberts. Universal love and celebration is the message.
3. How does it feel to have “Love is the Answer” be the theme song for the NOH8 campaign?
“Love Is the Answer” definitely embodies so many messages of philanthropic, global causes & concern, but still feels light enough to party and celebrate to. Positive energy and vibes from start to finish.
4. The music video was taped in Washington DC. Other than it being your home town and a great place to introduce Dance music, is there a political idea behind choosing this as the location for the video?
8112 Studios who are based in DC shot the video. A few years ago I’d call it coincidental, but now I realize it’s just all by design, because it’s time.
5. Are we also going to get some R&B/Hip Hop/Soul from you in your new CD?
Like always, I’ll be serving a variety of experiences and sounds on my upcoming albums.
6. You’ve worked with great names in the R&B/Hip Hop/Soul industry. In the Dance industry, are there any artists you would like to collaborate?
Yes, but that’s a secret, for now.
7. Does a new music style equal a new fashion style for you?
The vibe & lyrical content of a song play a huge part in the fashion inspiration, before the genre.
8. Who are three of your greatest musical inspirations?
Minnie Ripperton, Prince & my father. There are many more.
9. Cedric Gervais is a great DJ and has produced some great Dance tracks! How was working with him and how did you two connect for this project?
It was pretty darn awesome working with Cedric in Miami. Great production, cool studio setting, great mix engineer, great writers & he has the cutest dog ever.
10. Being that Cedric is a Miami resident, did you get to spend a lot of time in the sexy city and what are your feelings about Miami?
I spent a nice amount of time in Miami and I personally wouldn’t mind living there. I find it to be motivating with a reward at the end of my day. Outdoors is beautiful & weather is amazing all year around. I’m much more inspired to eat healthier & work out there.
11. One of our favorite songs of yours is “Whatever Bitch”. What is your favorite song you have ever recorded?
Among the songs that have been released,
-My favorite ballad I’ve ever recorded would be “Nothing At All”
-My favorite Queen song “Whatever Bitch”
-Favorite love making jam… “For the First Time”
12. What is the sexiest city in the world? Hotel? Club?
Give me 2 more years to answer that question. The party has just begun.
13. What are five things we would always find in your purse?
Cash/Credit, Mirror, Phone, Lipgloss, Topstick
14. What is a movie that has inspired you? Album? Book?
Movie: Sweet Charity
Album: Natural Wonder by Stevie Wonder
Books: Chelsea Handler “Are You There Vodka..It’s Me, Chelsea”
15. You are considered one of the sexiest an most beautiful women in the world. How do you define “sexy” and what is the secret to being sexy?
I’ve traveled the world & have seen “beautiful” women everywhere, so I’m not so sure about that. But “sexy” to me is what’s within… simplicity.
One who is rich without all of the accessories, but possesses all of the necessities.
16. In 2009 you were on “Dancing with the Stars”. What did you learn from that experience?
I learned that it takes 2 to Tango..hahaha!
17. Many of your songs have been in the soundtracks of films. What is it like to hear your song in a movie and which project was the most exciting for you?
To hear my songs in a film is actually much more comfortable than having to watch myself on screen as an actress. Most exciting was Atlantis “Where the Dream Takes You” as it was an animated Disney film and the song plopped during the closing credits.
18. You have been in several films, including “Chicago” for which you won a Screen Actor’s Guild Award. What was your favorite film you were in and why?
My favorite film was actually “Chicago”-an entertainer’s dream, the opportunity to act, sing and dance in one project alongside an incredible cast and superb director…simply breathtaking.
19. In your extensive bio on your website, you are listed as a huge philanthropist, including working for breast cancer and LGBT youth. Of all of the charities and foundations you have worked, which experience has been the most memorable and which would you like to be most remembered?
Every experience has been memorable & molding, but I find the causes that I dedicate personal interaction and a large bulk of time, I am most connected to. Every summer I dedicate 3 months of my time to The Mya Arts and Tech Foundation Program, becoming deeply involved with inner city youth as executive director and a teacher. It is here where I’ve been fortunate to witness first hand, progress, enthusiasm & even testimony.
20. Boxers, briefs, jockstraps…or nothing at all?
It truly depends on what we are talking about here. What’s the setting?
And what’s the action? That’s my answer.
Eyes Open, We’re Watching!
Go to the following links to listen to MYA’s newest remixes…
Mya/Cedric Gervais “Love is the Answer” album version and Second Sun Remix.
International Dance Music Awards Performance Version.
Photographs by ReeSee of Zigga Zagga Productions
Special thanks to Mike Killmon of MYA Management and Mya herself for taking the time for this interview.
WARNING: We allow 100 words or less of content per interview to be taken and used, with a link to our original interview, without our authorization. Content larger than 100 words or copying our entire interview without our authorization to be used in ANY manner will result in our taking legal action per copyright infringement.