Mike Ruiz. Fashion and celebrity photographer on the level of famed Annie Lebowitz. Model. Actor. Judge on America’s Next Top Model and RuPaul’s Drag Race. Director. Reality television star on LOGO’s The A-List: New York. And of course, sex symbol. His website MIKE RUIZ PHOTOGRAPHY is a self-proclaimed dissertation on the art of all that is beautiful and sexy. And although this man wears many hats and has a job title more suiting of “Pop Star Icon”, one thing is certain. He has earned his way to the top. And now, looking down, with his illustrious eyes and hidden, sensual smirk, he’s realized…that it only gets so much better with age.
1. You have been a model, actor, photographer, judge and now reality television star. If asked to define your career title, what would you say?
Pop Culture Consultant/ Creative Director/ Executive Producer
2. How did your career as a photographer begin?
I got a camera as a gift in 1993.
3. It seems that there isn’t anyone you haven’t photographed. Who has been your single favorite person to photograph? Who haven’t you interviewed that you would still love to interview?
I love them all. It’s really impossible to single anyone out. I’d love to work with Cher.
4. Can you explain to us the movement called “the Q scene” of which you support.
I’m not sure exactly what that means but according to my Wikipedia page, I am a prominent member and supporter of it. I’m guessing that it means that I support many organizations whose goals are the betterment of the LGBT community.
5. What makes someone sexy?
What makes someone sexy is confidence (and ripped abs!!!)
9. Sexiest place to kiss?
On the lips!
10. You were recently a member of LOGO television’s The A List: New York. What was the best and worst experience of being part of this cast?
It was all good. I wouldn’t have done it if I thought there would be anything bad about doing it.
11. When traveling, what are five things you always have in your bag?
Kiehls Silkgroom, Kiehls Cross Terrain UV Protector, Kiehls Photo-Age Corrector, my Canon 5D, my iPad.
12. You are in a serious relationship and have a family. Tell us about your partner and your family.
Martin is an amazing human being and father. He has 2 beautiful children that I adore.
13. In many of your photographs, the Kathy Griffin portraits for example, your subjects look sexier and more gorgeous than they have ever looked before. What is your secret to bringing out the best qualities in your subjects.
It’s a combination of many things but it boils down to being a manifestation of my ideals and fanatasies.
14. You are an incredibly sexy man. What are three secrets you would tell men so they look sexy and confident every day?
Eat well, get’s 8 hours of sleep and choose to love life.
15. What about the same advice for women?
All the same stuff and a push up bra!
16. If you could only listen to three CD’s or musicians for the rest of your life, who would you listen to?
Booty Luv. Rupaul introduced me to them and I can’t do cardio without listening to them on my iPod.
17. Does it get better with age?
It get’s SOOOOO much better with age. I have never been so at peace with who I am and it allows me to be available in ways that held me back when I was younger.
18. What are three things that we wouldn’t know by looking at you?
That I have 7 or 8 injuries ranging from shattered disks to a dislocated shoulder.
Eyes Open…We’re Watching!
All photographs by Mike Ruiz courtesy of Mike Ruiz.